A crown, which is sometimes referred to as a cap, is a covering that encases the entire tooth surface, restoring it to its original shape and size. A dental crown protects and strengthens tooth structure that cannot be restored with fillings or other types of restorations. A dental crown may become necessary or desired for one or more of the following reasons:
- To restore a fractured or broken tooth
- To enhance the beauty of your smile
- To repair a significantly decayed tooth
- To support a large or fractured dental filling, especially when little original tooth structure remains
- To protect a tooth following root canal therapy
- To anchor a dental bridge
There are several different kinds of crowns. The most popular type of crown is the porcelain crown, which closely resembles your natural teeth. Crowns are designed to be very durable and strong, and they are expected to last many years. Porcelain crowns in Louisville, Kentucky are customized in size, shape, and color to match your natural teeth. For more information on how a dental crown can restore the health of your smile, and to schedule your visit with our experienced dentist, we welcome you to contact us soon at McMillon Family and Cosmetic Dentistry.